Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
This savory, vegetable matzo ball soup is a delicious and quick meal on a cold evening.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsalted matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- salt (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 6 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 4 carrots (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups parsnips, sliced (medium)
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
To Make Matzo Balls:
1. Stir together eggs, oil, and vegetable stock in a small bowl. Add matzo meal, dill, and salt. Stir until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes to 8 hours.
2. Bring large pot of water to a boil; add a dash of salt. Using olive oiled hands, form dough into 12 1-inch balls.
3. Drop the balls one at a time into the boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
To Make Broth:
1. While matzo balls are simmering, make soup by adding all ingredients and bringing to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. To serve, spoon 2 cooked matzo balls into a bowl and ladle 1 cup of soup over them.
Recipe cost can be reduced by substituting dried dill for fresh dill.
Boston University Sargent Choice Nutrition Center