Apple-Sage Wild Rice Stuffing
This tasty wild rice dish starts with sautéed celery and onions mixed with sweet apples and cranberries. This combination, topped with toasted pecans, sage and a hint of heat makes a flavorful addition to any meal.
- 4 ounces chopped pecans
- 4 teaspoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 1 medium red apple, such as Jonathan or Gala (halved, cored, and diced, about 1 1/2 cup total)
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup hot cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper (seeded (if desired) and finely chopped OR 1/4 tsp dried pepper flakes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (or 1 1/2 tsp dried rubbed sage)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pecans and cook 2-3 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Set aside on separate plate.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat. Cook the celery and onion 8 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown on edge, stirring occasionally.
- Add the apples and cook 4 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Stir in the pecans and the remaining ingredients and cook 3-4 minutes or until the rice mixture is heated, stirring occasionally.
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget
MyPlate National Strategic Partners Toolkit