Take a trip to Spain in your very own kitchen! Gazpacho, a Spanish favorite, is a cooling pureed vegetable soup topped with extra virgin olive oil for a smooth finish.
- 3 slices bread (crusts removed and discarded )
- 1 1/4 cups cold water (divided)
- 3 medium tomatoes (ripe, skinned, seeded, and roughly chopped, about 3 3/4 cup or 2 pounds)
- 1 small cucumber (peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped, about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 green pepper (seeded and roughly chopped, about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic ( or 4 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon low-sodium adobo seasoning
- 1 small tomato (seeded and finely chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1/2 small red onion (finely chopped, about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped, about 1/2 cup)
- 1 hard-cooked egg (finely chopped)
- Tear bread into small pieces; transfer to medium bowl and cover with 1 cup water.
- Soak until bread is saturated, about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze water from bread, discarding soaking water.
- In bowl of blender or food processor, add bread, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, and 1/4 cup of water.
- Blend until well combined, about 1 minute.
- With motor running, add oil in steady stream until well blended.
- Stir in vinegar, season with low-sodium adobo.
- Strain pureed soup through small-hole strainer, into soup terrine, pressing firmly to pass all liquid through strainer, discard any solids.
- Cover terrine; transfer to refrigerator.
- Chill at least 1 hour, or up to 48 hours.
- To serve, divide soup evenly among serving bowls.
- Garnish with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and eggs.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with Spanish Garlic Shrimp, Garlic and Spanish Rice, and a glass of non-fat milk to make the meal complete.