Chicken Vegetable Soup with Kale
Kale and carrots add lots of vitamin A to this hearty soup. It is a great recipe for using the beautiful kale from the farmers market.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (ground)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups water (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 3/4 cup tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, skinned and cubed
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked (or white rice)
- 1 cup kale (chopped, about one large leaf)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add onion and carrots. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add thyme and garlic. Sauté for one more minute.
- Add water or broth, tomatoes, cooked rice, chicken, and kale.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Washington State University
The Washington Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program
Puyallup Research and Extension Center