Classic Honey Flan
Flan is a delicious custard dessert enjoyed throughout the world. End a special meal with this treat.
- 1 egg (large, whole)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 2 sprays of vegetable oil spray (non-stick)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (fat-free)
- 1/4 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Place saucepan with water on stove over medium-high heat and allow to come to a boil.
- Spray four ovenproof custard cups with vegetable oil spray.
- Combine the whole egg, egg substitute, milk, 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey, grated lemon zest, and vanilla. Beat until mixed but not foamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of honey and cinnamon, and mix to blend.
- Place the custard cups in a baking dish large enough to accommodate them, plus the water bath. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of honey and cinnamon into each custard cup. Divide the egg mixture equally into each custard cup.
- Place the baking dish on the rack in the middle of the oven and pour the boiling water into the baking dish to a depth of 1 inch, taking care not to let the water splash the flan. Bake for 45 minutes or until the knife blade comes out clean when inserted.
- Serve warm or cold. Before serving, loosen the edges with a knife or spatula and invert onto individual dessert plates.
Learn more about:
Delicious Heart Healthy Latino Recipes
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute