Light and flaky biscuits make excellent additions to holiday meals and family gatherings.
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (low-fat)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (+ 1 teaspoon vegetable oil)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and oil. Pour over flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to ¾-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping cookie cutter in flour between cuts. Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Recipe updated 2021.
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute