Spicy Baked Squash
This side dish is perfect for a fall or winter meal. Squash cooked with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger creates a simple dish to accompany your favorite entrée.
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 9 teaspoons brown sugar (3 Tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat the baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Wash the squash. Cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch slices.
4. Place the squash on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
5. Melt the margarine on low heat in a small saucepan.
6. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to the saucepan.
7. Spread the margarine mix on the squash.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender.
Learn more about winter squash.
Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network
Less is better with the added brown sugar.