These mini pizzas combine the flavors of tacos with the fun and variety of pizza. A favorite for kids and adults alike.
- 12 corn tortillas, small (or flour tortillas)
- vegetable oil (or margarine)
- 1 can refried beans (16 ounce)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 ounces fresh or canned green chili peppers (diced)
- 3 tablespoons red taco sauce
- 3 cups vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cilantro (1/2 cup chopped, fresh, optional)
1. Brush one side of each of two tortillas with water. Press the wet sides of the tortillas together to form a thick crust for the pizza.
2. Brush the outside of the tortillas with a small amount of oil or margarine. Evenly brown both sides in a heated frying pan. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
3. Heat refried beans, onion, and half of the chili peppers together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla pizza. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon taco sauce, then top with 1/2 cup of the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon chili peppers, and 1 Tablespoon cheese for each pizza.
5. Return to frying pan and heat until cheese melts. Top with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Healthy Latino Recipes Made with Love
California Department of Health Services
California Latino 5-A-Day Campaign