Serve this sauce over fruit or frozen yogurt for a dessert or special snack.
- 8 1/3 tablespoons milk (non-fat, dry, 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown, packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Reconstitute non-fat dried milk with water. Combine reconstituted milk and cornstarch in a small saucepan and mix until cornstarch in thoroughly dissolved.
2. Add the butter and brown sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to boil 1 minute.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm over baked French toast, ice cream, or fruit.
United States Department of Agriculture, USDA’S Collection of Nonfat Dry Milk (NDM) Recipes