Serve this sauce over fruit or frozen yogurt for a dessert or special snack.
- 8 1/3 tablespoons milk (non-fat, dry, 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Reconstitute non-fat dried milk with water. Combine reconstituted milk and cornstarch in a small saucepan and mix until cornstarch in thoroughly dissolved.
- Add the butter and brown sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to boil 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm over baked French toast, ice cream, or fruit.
USDA’S Collection of Nonfat Dry Milk (NDM) Recipes
USDA Food and Nutrition Service
Food Distribution Service