Serve this sauce over fruit or frozen yogurt for a dessert or special snack.
- 8 1/3 tablespoons milk (non-fat, dry, 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Reconstitute non-fat dried milk with water. Combine reconstituted milk and cornstarch in a small saucepan and mix until cornstarch in thoroughly dissolved.
- Add the butter and brown sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to boil 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm over baked French toast, ice cream, or fruit.
United States Department of Agriculture/USDA’S Collection of Nonfat Dry Milk (NDM) Recipes